Hallow’s End is a major holiday event in WoW Classic and a part of the What A Long, Strange Trip It’s Been meta holiday achievement for a 310% speed flying mount. Compared to TBC Classic the event has not changed much. The new WotLK Classic achievements are in place, and the Headless Horseman and his loot have been upgraded to level 80. But otherwise expect the holiday to run like it did the year before.
Hallow’s End will run from October 18, through October 31, 2022, giving you 14 days to farm the Headless Horseman and complete your achievements.
Headless Horseman Encounter In WotLK Classic
The Headless Horseman in WotLK Classic as a boss fight is found in the Scarlet Monastery Graveyard. His loot is of interest for fresh 80 characters, especially those in need of ilvl 200 rings. But what keeps everyone coming back every day is his mount.
Getting to Scarlet Monastery Graveyard
Scarlet Monastery is one of the more out-of-the-way dungeons, especially for Alliance players. With no dungeon finder in WotLK Classic, at least some of your party will need to travel out there.
- From Dalaran take the portal to Ironforge.
- Fly to Chillwind Camp in Western Plaguelands.
- Ride north, cutting through the Ruins of Andorhall, and then head west into Tirisfal Glades.
- Take the second road on the right (or cut cross country) to then head north to SM.
- Once inside SM the Graveyard is the door on the far left. No key is required.
- From Dalaran take the portal to Undercity.
- Ride out the main gate and head northeast to SM.
- Once inside SM the Graveyard is the door on the far left. No key is required.
- Use Death Gate to get to Ebon Hold.
- Fly to Chillwind Camp in Western Plaguelands (Alliance) or Undercity (Horde).
- Ride on to Scarlet Monastery.
The summoning stone outside now works for all levels, so if two of your party can make it there they can summon the rest. Anyone farming Headless Horseman daily may also be well served by parking an alt near the stone (summon other party members, then have them summon you).
Also if you have a warlock in your group they can summon people directly into the instance.
One Daily Summon Per Character
Similar to the Coren Direbrew fight during Brewfest, players can summon the Headless Horseman once per character per day. So a group of five players can get in five attempts. Anyone level 75+ can do the summoning daily. Though the ground finder will only work for players level 78+.
The boss can be downed easily with a 3-player group in good gear. But in general, you’ll find 5 is a good working number for both attempts and limiting competition.
Be wary of players lying that they have a summons available, leeching off of groups for extra shots at loot. If running a pug use Questie and have everyone pick up the summoning quest without turning it in. If everyone has Questie you should see  next to the quest, indicating everyone has the quest.
The Headless Horseman Fight in WotLK Classic
The Headless Horseman fight in Scarlet Monastery Graveyard is in three phases. You’ll attack the boss to start and his head in the second half of each stage. The boss’ abilities will also change in each stage. Once you’ve seen the fight it becomes easy to repeat.
Call the Headless Horseman
- One person clicks on the pumpkin offering a daily quest, called Call the Headless Horseman. Anyone level 75+ can do this once per day.
- You’ll receive a Dreary Candle quest item. Use it by clicking on the pile of dirt just behind the pumpkin. The Headless Horseman will fly out of the ground and circle for a few seconds before landing.
- Tank and spank the boss.
- Melee DPS be sure to stay behind the boss, he has a cleave.
- When the boss’ health reaches 0 his head will come off and the boss will wander around causing damage.
- All DPS focus on the head and ignore the body, it’ll be immune to damage and will regenerate health.
- Once the head has taken enough damage or time runs out it will return to the body.
- Same as Phase 1 plus…
- The boss will throw pumpkins at a random target, causing damage over time to the target.
- Same as Phase 2 plus…
- The boss will summon pumpkins every 30 seconds. They drop from the sky and take several seconds to activate. When active they are non-elite.
- Most groups should be able to focus on the Horseman and then his head before the adds activate. If they activate, have the tank round them up to protect the healer.
- When the head comes off this time your goal is to finish it off, failure to kill it before time will result in a repeat of Phase 3.
There is no need to run out and reset the instance after each fight. Another member of your group simply does the summoning quest and you can repeat the fight when ready.
Headless Horseman’s Loot in WotLK Classic
The Headless Horseman will drop items among this list. Typically one epic item and possibly a blue item, too. Everyone in the group is eligible for the loot after each kill regardless of who did the summoning.
|Ring of Ghoulish Glee
|Ring - Physical DPS
|The Horseman's Seal
|Ring - Caster DPS
|Wicked Witch's Band
|Ring - Healer
|The Horseman's Baleful Blade
|MH Sword - Physical DPS
|On Use: Summon Pumpkin Soldiers to burn your foes (10 min CD)
|The Horseman's Horrific Helm
|Plate Head - DPS
|On Use: Performs the Horseman's laugh for those near you to hear (30 second CD)
|Cloth Head - Decorative
|With helm display turned on it replaces your head with a jack-o-lantern
|Acts as ground or flying mount, depending on your location and riding skill
14 day duration
|The Horseman's Reins
|Fast Flying Mount
|Works with any riding skill level
Magic Brooms from the Headless Horseman
The Magic Broom is a limited-time holiday mount.
- Flies in Outland and Northrend (provided you have flying trained) and ground only in Azeroth
- Goes the speed of your highest riding skill
- Bind on Use (tradable if not used)
- Lasts for 14 days in real-time, enough for the holiday event
Hallowed Be Thy Name Achievements New To WotLK Classic
During Hallow’s End, you’ll need to complete several achievements to complete the Hallowed By Thy Name achievement for What A Long, Strange Trip It’s Been. This will involve a lot of running around Azeroth and Outland, swapping wand uses with your guildmates, and some PvP.
Bring Me The Head of… Oh Wait
Kill the Headless Horseman during WotLK Classic just once in Scarlet Monastery.
Out With It
Eat enough Tricky Treats to get sick.
- You can get a lot of these during your fights with the Headless Horseman.
- Once you have 10+ just right-click on them over and over until your character gets sick.
Check Your Head
You’ll need 10 Weighted Jack-o’-Lanterns.
- These also drop from the Headless Horseman boss encounter. You can also get a few doing the Stop the Fires daily.
- Once you have enough you need to put one on each playable race in the game.
- On more faction-balanced servers you should be able to find what you need in Dalaran.
- If having trouble finding a member of the opposite faction then head into Wintergrasp. You can toss one of these on your enemy just before you smite them.
- Both items can drop from Headless Horseman.
- They are also available from the treat bag you get when you trick-or-treat with an innkeeper.
Trick or Treat!
Use any of the trick-or-treat buckets found in an inn.
Tricks and Treats of Azeroth
You’ll need to use the trick-or-treat bucket in most of your faction’s quest hubs in Azeroth and Outland. These are three achievements, one for each continent. Completing all three will grant you this unifying achievement.
Provided you have all the needed flight points gathering up the ones in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms just takes some time. Make use of Dalaran portals and any other teleportation abilities you may have. If forming a group be sure to grab a mage.
Outland will be easier as you’ll have access to your flying mount.
While buffed by G.N.E.R.D.S. candy kill 50 members of the opposing faction in PvP.
- The candy will come from trick-or-treat buckets. You don’t need a lot.
- Go into Wintergrasp and you should complete this in a single battle. After you die pop another G.N.E.R.D.S. Keep going until you hit 50 honor kills.
That Sparkling Smile
Use a Tooth Pick.
- You get these from the Stop the Fires daily or trick-or-treating with innkeepers once an hour.
Get transformed by seven specific wands.
- The wands come from talking to an innkeeper and trick or treating with them (separate from the trick-and-treat buckets). You can only do this with an innkeeper once per hour.
- The wands have 5 charges each and can be used on party members.
- My suggestion is to collect wands as best you can, then when your guild next gets together for a raid (or a wand party) coordinate helping each other earn the achievement.
The Savior of Hallow’s End
Complete the Stop the Fires daily quest by helping put out fires and defeating the Headless Horseman in one of your faction’s starter towns.
- Goldshire in Elwynn Forest
- Kharanos in Dun Morogh
- Azure Watch in Azuremyst Isle
- Razor Hill in Durotar
- Brill in Tirisfal Glades
- Southeast section of the Ruins of Silvermoon in Eversong Wood
Complete two quests involving the Alliance and Horde crashing each other’s holiday festivities.
- Head to Southshore for both quests.
- Crashing the Wickerman Festival – Go just west of Undercity and run up to the giant hay man to complete.
- The Power of Pine – Use the provided Stink Bomb Cleaner to remove stink bombs left by the Horde around Southshore.
- Head to the festival area just west and outside of Undercity.
- Ruined Kegs – Head to Southshore and go inside the inn. Stay on the main floor, you’ll find the kegs you are there to ruin.
- Stinking Up Southshore – Use the provided stink bomb in Southshore.